America’s farmers and ranchers make an important contribution to the U.S. economy by ensuring a safe and reliable food supply, improving energy security and supporting job growth and economic development. Agriculture is particularly important to the economies of small towns and rural areas, where farming supports a number of sectors, from farm machinery manufacturers to food processing companies. In honor of America’s agriculture, here are some farm facts from fb.org:
- As of 2016, 2.1 million farms dot America’s rural landscape. About 99 percent of U.S. farms are operated by families – individuals, family partnerships or family corporations.
- Farm and ranch families comprise just 2 percent of the U.S. population
- One U.S. farm feeds 165 people annually in the U.S. and abroad. The global population is expected to increase to 9.7 billion by 2050, which means the world’s farmers will have to grow about 70 percent more food than what is now produced.
- Cattle and calves, corn, and dairy products are the top 3 U.S. farm products.
- In 2016, $135.5 billion worth of American agricultural products were exported around the world. The United States sells more food and fiber to world markets than we import, creating a positive agricultural trade balance.
- The number of farm operators of Spanish, Hispanic or Latino origin is higher than ever, up 21 percent to 99,734. There also are more African American (44,629, up 12 percent) and American Indian (58,475, up 5 percent) farm operators.
- Americans enjoy a food supply that is abundant, affordable overall and among the world’s safest, thanks in large part to the efficiency and productivity of America’s farm and ranch families.
If you’re a farmer, we thank you for all you do! We know it’s hard, backbreaking, and extremely important work. On top of that, running a farm is costly, and the expensive machinery used is a precious investment. The Rock Block is an aftermarket bolt-on kit to reduce rocks and debris from hitting your tractor cab and breaking windows. The attachment goes on the front of rotary/disc style mowers, hay cutters, and conditioners. Protect your tractor with The Rock Block!